Street Stories

Weblog of Seattle minister to the homeless Rick Reynolds, Operation Nightwatch

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Caring for human beings seems like the best use of my time, homeless or not.

Wednesday, August 04, 2004

First Fight

I was driving up Jackson Street today, and saw "Ralph" making a deal at a bus stop. He's still alive after 10 years, which is something of a miracle.

Here's how we first met.

It was my third day on the job as director of Operation Nightwatch. I was sitting at a desk in our little storefront located at 1st and Wall in Belltown, just a few blocks north of the Pike Place Market in Seattle.

Suddenly I heard the sounds of a fight, right outside my glass front door. Ralph, who is small, wiry, and African American, is swapping punches with some tall white guy, right in our entry.

This was something new for me, white bread suburban boy. Emergency! Emergency!

I ran over to the phone and called 911.

"There's a fight, two guys going at it, 2415 1st Ave!" I am shaking and breathless talking to the dispatcher.

"Is anyone hurt?" she asked. I looked outside again. Ralph and the other guy are still on their feet taking big wild swings and occasionally landing one.

"I guess not, they're still on their feet."

"Are there any weapons?" she asked. I looked again.

"Just fists," I told her.

"Then call us back." Click.

I decided I was going to have to do something myself. So I went out onto the sidewalk. Here were the two fighters on the ground next to the curb. By this time Ralph was sitting on the bigger white guys chest, popping him in the cheek with his fist, but not that hard.

Leaning over them both, I said loudly, "HEY, KNOCK IT OFF!" Ralph looked up at me, standing over him in a clerical collar (you know I'm a minister right?) and he immediately jumps off the guy.

The two combantants are surrounded by their friends. The "loser" staggers away with two buddies consoling him. Everyone around Ralph was patting him on the back. "Way to go, that guy was drunk, he was picking fights with everyone, whatta pain in the neck."

I thought to myself. Here was a drunk white guy picking a fight with a bunch of homeless guys, and if the police had come they would have seen Ralph sitting on the guy's chest trying to sober him up sorta. Then they would have arrested the wrong guy. So I figured it all worked out for the best.

Just another little tidbit from the streets of Seattle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home