Street Stories

Weblog of Seattle minister to the homeless Rick Reynolds, Operation Nightwatch

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Caring for human beings seems like the best use of my time, homeless or not.

Monday, September 08, 2008

Socks and more

I love taking Nightwatch socks to Tent City 3. It seems like the neighborly thing to do -- I know there are other needs - food, for instance. But egad, a box with 100 pairs of socks sure is received with much rejoicing.

We (my brother from Alaska, Fr. Kim, and myself) hung out chatting with people. Folks are so interesting -- and as a survival strategy, TC3 is pretty good. I've never really paid much attention to the accoutrements of the tents themselves, but in giving my brother the tour, I realized that there is a level of sophistication among the campers that surpasses the term "camping."

We drove back into town, visited a bar -- I think I could have spent another hour chatting with friends here (despite the fact that this place can't keep bottled water on the shelf). So I pretty much went without. wah wah. Anyway, I met a musician dude who promised I could take guitar lessons from him, just have to figure out how to work 10 hours of practice and a lesson into my schedule. Maybe I can run my 25 miles a week with a guitar around my neck? THAT would be multi-tasking.

Here's the news:

"County pays homeless man $10,000 in civil suit." Apparently Marion County, Florida has a new panhandling law. Read the story here.

And then, homeless soccer teams: "Soccer gives the homeless a new goal"

Let me know what you think about things. Rick

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home