Street Stories

Weblog of Seattle minister to the homeless Rick Reynolds, Operation Nightwatch

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Caring for human beings seems like the best use of my time, homeless or not.

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Life at Kelly's



There was a guy in the bar who was always glowering at me. This was about 15 years ago at the old Kelly's Tavern, a long-gone dive bar at Third and Bell in Seattle. I never saw this guy talking to anyone, just nursing a beer and looking a little menacing.
In other words, a perfect guy for me to connect with, or so I thought.
For months he would see me across the bar, and watch me. I never said anything to him, he never said anything to me, or to anyone for that matter, except to order whatever draft beer was cheap.
After weeks of this, I had my perfect moment. Just as I walked into Kelly’s, he walked into the men’s room. I could see where he left his beer and back pack, so I settled in next to his spot with my diet Pepsi.
He comes back out, plops down next to me.
“Seen you around.”
“Yep.”
It went downhill from there. He responded to “internal stimulus” as they say. Little green men were making sure we were unable to find our way to the escape hatch through to the 4th dimension under our flat earth. It was like uncorking a bottle of very colorful carbonated home brew, which someone had set on a warm windowsill before shaking up. Once all the foam had sprayed out, there was nothing left, so he bid me goodnight, and moved on. Never saw him again.
For people who think there are easy answers to every social ill, I want you to consider hanging out in a dive bar for a month or so.

2 Comments:

Blogger Diwakar said...

Hello Pastor Rick. I am also a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the have opportunity to go through your post on Life at Kelly's a street story. and your advise to consider hanging out in a dive bar for a month of so which is so thoughtful and practical. I am blessed and feel privileged and honored to get connected with you as well as know you and about you being the Pastor which is so encouraging to know through your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged,strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 38 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have young people from your youth group to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. I am sure they will have a life changing experience. God willing I am coming to the United States in the month of MAY 2018 and will be so glad to stop by your place in Seattle and visit you and share with you about our ministry and the opportunity for young people to serve the most under privileged. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your family and ministry. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede.

7:15 AM  
Anonymous Camping Toilets In 2019 said...

hilarious. you have a great page.

3:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home