Street Stories

Weblog of Seattle minister to the homeless Rick Reynolds, Operation Nightwatch

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Caring for human beings seems like the best use of my time, homeless or not.

Thursday, February 10, 2005

Joe: Still Alive

Joe came up to me full tilt, looking ragged and too excited to see me.

“You told me I wouldn’t die.”

My mind went racing for his name, a face, something to help me remember this guy and the conversation. Nothing.

“Remember?” he asked. “I told you I was sick of heroin, and wanted to get into a treatment program. I’ve been clean for three months now.”

Suddenly the light went on. “I was right! You didn’t die,” I pointed out. Joe’s face broke into a grin. “I was mad when you told me that, but it was the truth. I didn’t die.”


No one dies from quitting. Keep on living, Joe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home