Street Stories

Weblog of Seattle minister to the homeless Rick Reynolds, Operation Nightwatch

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Caring for human beings seems like the best use of my time, homeless or not.

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Eastmont Wildcats!

Sunday night I took about 30 kids from Wenatchee, Washington out on the street, to give them an education about Seattle and homelessness.

We started from the crest of Yesler Hill, just above I-5. A greenbelt extends from Yesler to James Street, homeless trails going the length of it, with camping areas under young evergreens. The area is bordered by public housing, and the parking building for Harborview Hospital.

We walked toward the waterfront, trying to imagine the old growth timber which would be shoved down to the waterfront along this route (the origin of "Skid Road"). At the bottom of the hill we could see City Hall Park at Third & Yesler, where a feeding program was just wrapping up.

"Where you guys from?" one of the meal patrons asked.

"I'm from Operation Nightwatch, and I'm taking this group of kids from Wenatchee out on a tour."

"I graduated from Eastmont High in Wenatchee."

Now what are the odds of that? I take a group of kids out from a small town three hours away, and the first homeless guy we run into is from their school?

Rick

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home