Street Stories

Weblog of Seattle minister to the homeless Rick Reynolds, Operation Nightwatch

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Caring for human beings seems like the best use of my time, homeless or not.

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Easy Night


Nightwatch volunteer at St. James ministry fair

I am back at the dispatch center tonight, 7:30 to midnight because John wasn't feeling well. But it was the first of the month, lots of shelter, ridiculous amount of shelter out there tonight -- closed with tons of places left open. It's a very warm night, no one wants to smell the stinky feet.

I'm cruising along, killing time the last hour. "R" shows up late, wanting the Queen Anne shelter for men. Told him I'd take him over at midnight, so he waited around.

He's giving me a bad time, teasing me about drinking. Asked me what I am (kind of a weird question, but the clerical collar is a curiousity). When I told him I'm Methodist, he asks "Free Methodist?" and I was startled, trying to remember if I had told him something last time I saw him.

"Yes, Free Methodist, so what?"

"Church on Queen Anne Hill?"

"Yes."

Turns out he went to church at First Free Methodist when he was younger -- lived on Dravus. Now he's trying to rebuild his life after jail and drugs. He's discouraged.

I gave him a lift to the shelter, and breathed a prayer over him as he clambered out of my too-small car.

Rick

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,
I was blessed by your blog! Thanks for your honest heart and truthfulness, it is refreshing to hear someone be real. I really believe in what you do! Its cool to read about real people who serve Jesus.

I am a musician, and I would be honored if you would check out my music. All music on my site is free for download. Anyway, don't want to be a pest, I just thought that I'd share.

Thanks,
-Sean
_____________________
www.SeanDietrich.com
"All my music is free."

8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home