Street Stories

Weblog of Seattle minister to the homeless Rick Reynolds, Operation Nightwatch

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Caring for human beings seems like the best use of my time, homeless or not.

Friday, March 02, 2007

Homeless in San Francisco
























I'm on vacation, but I can't get away from it.

On the way south to visit my brother in San Rafael, I met a fabulous person who directed me to a program called Project Homeless Connect. I spent part of Wednesday observing 1,700 volunteers assisting several thousand homeless people with everything: TB screenings, foot care, flu shots, book exchange, free lunch with entertainment, massage, haircuts, ID replacement, info on Vet's benefits, housing, counseling for drug/alcohol. It was exciting and moving; something we definitely need in Seattle.

For more on Project Homeless Connect:

http://www.sfconnect.org/AboutUs/index.php/homeless_connect/phc_our_mission.html?PHPSESSID=bdff7c877d9a34e2d9e4fba7ac092af4

Later that afternoon I met with San Francisco Street Ministry staff and one board member. They have paid chaplains on the street every night until 4 a.m. Nightwatch in Seattle was originally modelled on them, though we have grown much bigger and in different directions.

http://www.nightministry.com/

Back next week. Rick

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey rick, i'd like to help out with operation nightwatch. how can i help?

thanks, marcia

you can e-mail me through my xanga page.

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home