Street Stories

Weblog of Seattle minister to the homeless Rick Reynolds, Operation Nightwatch

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Caring for human beings seems like the best use of my time, homeless or not.

Monday, September 17, 2007

More stupid moves


So, now Seattle Parks wants to tear down 66 dwelling units because they sit in the middle of a park. Never mind that we've used the park undisturbed by those 66 home-dwellers when it was a military base for maybe 30 years.
Meanwhile try to find a place to rent in the city. We have a 2% vacancy rate, or something like that.
Between the Port of Seattle, City of Burien, and now the Seattle Parks Department we will have wrecked more housing than we built under the grand "10 year plan" for ending homelessness.
Meanwhile I got my property tax assessment for next year. Something like a 30% increase in my assessment, but the value of the house is nominal according to the county; it's the land that's really worth something. I'm still scratching my head about that. Seems like the deck is stacked in favor of density, which I approve of in principle. But when I get to Geezerdom (not that far away, you know) I'm going to worry that I'll have to sell off because I won't be able to afford the luxury of living in Seattle's Central District. And then some whippersnapper will tear down the house, extrude another crummy condo four-plex, and ruin the raspberries. Yuk.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rick, just FYI - it's actually the City that's tearing the units down--not Parks dept. The Parks hearing is the Parks, Libraries, etc. committee of the City Council. Plan has been in the works since early 2004, agreement signed in 12/04 between City and the private developer, American Eagle, and then little or nothing in the newspapers until July of this year when the proposal is nearing time for for a vote.

Despite a few differences between the two situations, I find it ironic, to say the least, that the City of Seattle and King County came roaring out, lambasting the City of Burien and the Port about tearing down Lora Lake...but it's ok for SEATTLE to tear down housing!...in a beautiful area...where kids could enjoy the park...in Magnolia...that has high-end homeowners wanting even more green space than they already have in gigantic Discovery Park and certainly no low- or middle-income residents around to disturb the view.

7:29 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Another FYI - The photo you posted is of the historic officers housing. Those homes stay. Capehart is in another part of the park. Otherwise, I agree with everything you said. I wish we would have decided to at least keep the housing in place until the new housing at Fort Lawton is completed.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Pastor Rick said...

I know the pic is of the officer's housing -- but that's all I found to rip off the net.

How many millions will be spent to replace this?

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home