Street Stories

Weblog of Seattle minister to the homeless Rick Reynolds, Operation Nightwatch

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Caring for human beings seems like the best use of my time, homeless or not.

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Homeless art studio opens; why not here?


The Calgary Drop-In Centre opened an art studio Wednesday, providing homeless Calgarians with a place to paint or draw.
Personally, I've seen some really great homeless art, and some really hideous homeless art.
But artistic expression can really help people cope. It's a great concept.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Wes Browning said...

We had a homeless art gallery that evolved into StreetLife Art Gallery in the upstairs space at Noel House where Recovery Cafe is finishing out its days. It started in 1991 and lasted about ten years,and I was deeply involved in it for the first 7 of them. If anyone wants to start up another homeless art gallery, I would be glad to volunteer as a consultant. I have some pretty good ideas why StreetLife eventually failed.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Pastor Rick said...

We should talk sometime. I had a friend working on the board and also at Daniel Smith (art supply outlet). He had tons of opines on the topic.

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home