Street Stories

Weblog of Seattle minister to the homeless Rick Reynolds, Operation Nightwatch

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Caring for human beings seems like the best use of my time, homeless or not.

Friday, August 11, 2017

What should I do?

People struggling with life ask me this question all the time: "What should I do?"

I have one answer. "Pray for wisdom to know God's will, and pray for strength from beyond yourself to accomplish it."

In other words, there are no easy answers when faced with difficulties. We listen through the rushing wind, the earthquake, the fire. Then it is quiet, and we still don't clearly know. Not always. Not even usually.

But I think there is something about the process, of asking, seeking, knocking. Then you go with your gut.

In the Old Testament, certain matters were settled with the Urim and Thummim. These were some sort of divine coins to flip. Heads and tails or some such.

What should I do?

Last night I said, "Pray for wisdom, in-between beers." 

I guess under the circumstances, it was the most anyone could hope for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home