Street Stories

Weblog of Seattle minister to the homeless Rick Reynolds, Operation Nightwatch

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Caring for human beings seems like the best use of my time, homeless or not.

Friday, June 29, 2007

Side bar: Aromatic bitters


I complained to the bartender that I'd had a gut ache all day after overdoing it at lunch time at my favorite Mexican place (it's a sure sign of age -- didn't eat as much as I once could, but still, the bellyache).


The Milkmaid said, "I got just the thing" and pulls out this ancient bottle of Angostura Bitters, throws a few drops into a highball glass with some tonic water. I was doubtful -- the brownish liquid slowly diffused in the bubbly.


I took a tentative sip. Not bad, very interesting taste.


While finishing off my remedy, I'm reading the bottle.


Almost immediately my gut ache left me. Where can I buy this stuff? And what the heck is it?


My online research has netted a "per case" source, but everyone seems to agree that one bottle lasts a half-lifetime.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't help you with what it is, but you can find it at the grocery store with the soda and drink mixes.

1:39 PM  
Blogger Pastor Rick said...

Yah, I checked with my local QFC and found a smallish bottle with all the drink mixers -- no wonder I never saw it before.

I guess you can cook with the stuff too, add some razzle dazzle to the spaghetti sauce.

BTW -- who are you?

3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home