Street Stories

Weblog of Seattle minister to the homeless Rick Reynolds, Operation Nightwatch

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Caring for human beings seems like the best use of my time, homeless or not.

Monday, January 14, 2008

Compline


St. Marks, 9:30 p.m.

Compline service.

I really felt old, attending this end-of-day worship service. It's been around forever, very popular with the under-25 crowd. I first attended 35 years ago.

The kids just flop around anywhere in the nave, pulpit, altar. There didn't seem to be much decorum, which may be the point after all. (Can you tell, I'm trying hard not to be a fuddy-duddy.)

When the chanting starts, the kids fall silent.

I wondered if any of them were "getting it."

When the first words of the Apostle's Creed http://anglicansonline.org/basics/apostles.html are being chanted, the entire room comes to attention.

The loungers stand and turn to face the cross.

It is quite a moment. Five stars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home