Street Stories

Weblog of Seattle minister to the homeless Rick Reynolds, Operation Nightwatch

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Caring for human beings seems like the best use of my time, homeless or not.

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Chowder



I still have this funny memory from two decades ago. I gave a talk to a lovely group of little old ladies at a church. One of their members came up to me and said, “I’d come down to help you, but I can’t run as fast as I used to!”

It was funny trying to imagine one of our homeless friends chasing this little old lady down the street. 

I’ve been in a bunch of tense situations, but fewer than you might think.

One night I told someone to take a hike. I had given him a meal and a place to go, but he wanted to hang out and verbally bother some poor woman in the dispatch center. On his way out the door, he took a cup of chowder and splashed it on my black clergy shirt. Yuck. 

The next night I was told, “Pastor Rick, that guy who gave you a bad time last night? He’s not going to be a problem anymore.”

Yikes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home