Street Stories

Weblog of Seattle minister to the homeless Rick Reynolds, Operation Nightwatch

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Caring for human beings seems like the best use of my time, homeless or not.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

We are all cousins, yes?


So, I was at a family gathering, and one of the distant relatives was so sloppy drunk by noon that he couldn't stand up.

Now usually I might be irritated or frustrated with such behavior, or go out of my way to avoid such a person. But this was my relative, for goodness sake. I was sad, I wanted to do something, to let the person know I care about him and will help him get help, whatever it takes. Let's work together, get this thing figured out. Come on, now.

I asked myself why I'm so interested in getting some help for this person. He's my relative! I can't let him do that to himself -- a pattern of behavior that is leading him to an early grave!

Aren't we all relatives though? Maybe that guy in the shelter needs me too. I should help him as well. He's a cousin, to somebody who cares, maybe.
Rick

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home