Street Stories

Weblog of Seattle minister to the homeless Rick Reynolds, Operation Nightwatch

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Caring for human beings seems like the best use of my time, homeless or not.

Friday, March 21, 2008

A Prayer for Myself 06/24/06

I prayed for peace while
holding the hands of a hooker.
Hot tears ran down her face.
Seven months later she found me
To give thanks and make amends.

I held the hand of an old friend
Cold and weak and gray.
I prayed for mercy, healing, peace.
Two days later he was dead.
Mercy? Perhaps. God knows.

So now I pray for myself.
A prayer for peace.
I shall hold my own hand
Since no one will be here to hold it.
I shall pronounce Benediction
Over my heart,
my mind
my life.

I will remember these others:
The hooker, her life salvaged.
The friend, dead at 57.
Now I ask you God,
Which will it be for me?
Have Mercy, Lord

1 Comments:

Blogger iamkatia said...

57? jeez, that's young.
hope you're okay.

(((hug)))

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home