Street Stories

Weblog of Seattle minister to the homeless Rick Reynolds, Operation Nightwatch

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Caring for human beings seems like the best use of my time, homeless or not.

Friday, July 18, 2008

What does it mean?


I am intrigued with dreams.

Last night I dreamt I was driving up into the mountains to go fishing with my dad and his friend Leonard. Now this is not a remarkable thing, I have fished with these two many times, even in the past few years, in real life. Maybe the dream difference is the presence of wife and son. (Oddly, his age changes in my 'dream world' to accomodate the plot -- in real life he's 22)

In my dream we arrived at a beautiful spot. On the left side of the road, a lake with lots of fishing going on. On the right side of the road another lake, or maybe the same lake, somehow. But no people are fishing on the right side, though the water looked clear and beautiful.

"There is where the fish are" was the explanation I was given about people fishing on the left.

My set up wasn't very good, just a hook and a worm. I was skeptical of any good outcome.

Maybe here's the answer to what it means: I'm someone who always wants to fish on the opposite side from everyone else. I understand the contrarian, the innovator, the tilter at windmill types, the underdog. I want to find fish in odd places, redeem the irredeemable, fall in love with those under-loved.


Ah, yes. So satisfying. I highly recommend it.

Instead of loving people who love you back, try loving people who can't love, who have perhaps never been loved, or who will be surprised by love. If you can do that, you are much more like God than the rest of us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home