Street Stories

Weblog of Seattle minister to the homeless Rick Reynolds, Operation Nightwatch

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Caring for human beings seems like the best use of my time, homeless or not.

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Benedictus

I enjoy the incantations
Of the mentally ill,
Who pray for me
In curious languages
Known only by God.

And I am buoyed by
the charismatic cadences
Of sixth grade Four Square children
Praying “Lord God, Lord God” while pressing down
Small hands upon my head and shoulders.
How they pushed! Or, was I simply weary?

But today, a different blessing was bestowed:
Truck Driver Benediction.

He looked me in the eye and shook my hand
Having faithfully delivered 3,000 homeless blankets
Compliments of the Defense Department.

“You’re doing the Lord’s work” he growled
With A Voice,
Created by Jack Daniels
And the strain of being heard
Over a twin-cam 96B Fatboy Harley.

“You’re doing the Lord’s work.”
It made the rest of my 20 hour work day
much lighter.
And that WAS a blessing.

Rick Reynolds, February 12, 2009

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home