Street Stories

Weblog of Seattle minister to the homeless Rick Reynolds, Operation Nightwatch

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Caring for human beings seems like the best use of my time, homeless or not.

Wednesday, April 08, 2009

More homeless seniors. . .


How can you survive on $700 a month from Social Security?

Some old folks are sleeping in their cars. Read it in the Seattle Times here:

Operation Nightwatch has 24 units for seniors, shared bath and community kitchen. Furnished room, with late night dinner thrown in for $250 a month. Must be 62+. It's amazing how many people can only afford that much rent.

I get the feeling we're about to see a huge shift in demographics in our homeless population.

The one comment though, that I found interesting. One of the interviewees wouldn't give his name: "I don't want my kids to know I'm homeless."

Something haywire there.

The guy pictured here worked for 10 years as a dishwasher before retiring in our building. Not sure where he would have ended up otherwise. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home