Street Stories

Weblog of Seattle minister to the homeless Rick Reynolds, Operation Nightwatch

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Caring for human beings seems like the best use of my time, homeless or not.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Electricity


I don't like to think of myself as a slum lord.
Nightwatch has this building with 24 senior residents. They're pretty much old, poor, formerly homeless.
And pretty dang fun.
I'm wandering the hall and someone says something about their smoke detector beeping. "But it only happens when the power goes off."
Well, shoot. How often does THAT happen?
"Every night?"
Apparently when this building was renovated 28 years ago, they wired three or four rooms each on a 20 amp circuit. This happened before Mongo Size televisions and home oxygen machines and microwave ovens for low-income people.
I got one nice guy to make a bid. Now what? I need a few more professionals to come and give bids on rewiring. And if anyone has an idea on paying for it, let me know. First bid was about ten grand. {{sigh}}

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home