Street Stories

Weblog of Seattle minister to the homeless Rick Reynolds, Operation Nightwatch

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Caring for human beings seems like the best use of my time, homeless or not.

Friday, October 07, 2011

The Intoxicated Evangelist

Michelangelo's "Noah Drunk" Sistene Chapel
 
We stopped at a shelter - guys are watching TV. Suddenly a very drunk man sees me and shouts "Read something from my Bible" and then lurches around the room, grabs a Bible sitting on the table. We take turns reading, me choosing something from Isaiah which included a promise of fine aged wine in the coming good times.  Probably not the best choice.  He goes straight to Romans.
 
After several selections - back and forth, he says to me, in a not-so-loud drunken whisper, "I graduated Catholic. I went to war. This is all I have left," patting his Book.

And that is a sermon.  Cue the organ.
 
 




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home