Street Stories

Weblog of Seattle minister to the homeless Rick Reynolds, Operation Nightwatch

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Caring for human beings seems like the best use of my time, homeless or not.

Friday, January 11, 2013

Flat Tire

I had a flat tire today. It's good to practice those mechanical skills occasionally. It couldn't have happened in better circumstances.

It was uncharacteristically sunny in Seattle today. I notice a strange noise, and immediately there was a parking space. This being the International District, I took it. Duh. Plus, it was level.

3:30 pm. Heck with this. I'm eating lunch. So I (finally) ate my lunch sitting in the car. The flat tire can wait.

Dug around in the car. Yep, I had everything I needed. Spare was good. Indeed, the tire was simply knocked off the rim, nothing wrong with it. The Jackson street potholes took their toll.

About 10  years ago it wasn't such good timing. I was on my way back to Operation Nightwatch from doing my rounds, alone. The flat happened right outside a Belltown club, near midnight. There were all these beautiful young ladies in short, shimmery dresses and high heels.

"Need some help?"  I'm still pretty sure it was the clerical collar that made me appear helpless to young party girls, not my gray hair.

Still, it made me smile, just imagining them changing a back tire for me in their sequins. Nice image.

R

1 Comments:

Anonymous Rita McCall said...

I have to say that I'm quite amazed by how you managed to stay calm about the flat tire mostly because my experiences with flats always involve being in the middle of a busy road or in the dark during the dead of winter. Mind you, I'm helpless when it comes to fixing anything on a car, so I'm always in a 30-minute to an hour of panic until a car repair company or a kind stranger comes to my aid. I'm not sure how I would react if sequined girls offered to help though. Haha!

10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home