Street Stories

Weblog of Seattle minister to the homeless Rick Reynolds, Operation Nightwatch

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Caring for human beings seems like the best use of my time, homeless or not.

Friday, March 14, 2014

Malachi is reborn



It’s 10 p.m.  I’m at a shelter, having just delivered the excess pizzas from Little Caesar to the residents. Some guy sees me, all excited: “I reborn today, I reborn today!” in heavily accented English.

To tell you the truth, I thought maybe he was reacting to my clerical collar, and had experienced some a transcendent spiritual moment, some movement of the Spirit. He shuffled through a clutch of papers.

“I reborn.” He repeated. Then he pulls out a sacred document “Certificate of Naturalization.” His smile is lighting the room. Wowsers. Congratulations!

It has all come together for Malachi.  He is now an American citizen, and a priest appears, bearing pizza in honor of this special day. With gestures, Malachi gives thanks to God above and to me, as though I had planned all this out, just for him.  Five pizzas, deep dish pepperoni, lowered from on high. Render unto Little Caesar’s that which is Little Caesar’s and render unto God that which is God’s. 

From Somalia to the United States. Malachi belongs with us now. Eat pizza. Be happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home