Street Stories

Weblog of Seattle minister to the homeless Rick Reynolds, Operation Nightwatch

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Caring for human beings seems like the best use of my time, homeless or not.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

A Shadow

A wisp, a shadow, stood pawing through a garbage can at 3rd and James late last night. He muttered to himself and walked away.

“Hey, buddy. BUDDY.” He looked at me with empty eyes. “You hungry? I got a pizza for you.”

I opened the hatch on my car. The shadow’s eyes grew wide, staring at 37 pizzas, destined for other homeless friends. I picked up a deep dish pizza box and handed it to him. For a moment he was coherent, substantial, alive. He thanked me, and turned away.

Human beings should not have to eat from garbage cans in our community.

When you give to Nightwatch, you reaffirm the dignity and worth of every human being who haunts our urban streets. You sustain them with food, offer them shelter. You grant hope and love to folks who have not experienced hope or love in a very long time, if at all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home