Street Stories

Weblog of Seattle minister to the homeless Rick Reynolds, Operation Nightwatch

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Caring for human beings seems like the best use of my time, homeless or not.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Upon the Death of Maya Angelou


Two days ago I picked a peony
from my garden --
a descendent of the peonies
that graced my grandmother’s yard
forty years ago.
I laid this peony upon my grandparent’s grave,
and stood, pondering my mortality
for just a moment,
with thanks for a beautiful heritage.

The peonies are still bright this morning
and I am still thankful,
despite the sadness of the day.
Maya left us a beautiful heritage -
a riotous garden of colors
seen through momentary tears
and smiles of remembrance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home