Street Stories

Weblog of Seattle minister to the homeless Rick Reynolds, Operation Nightwatch

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Caring for human beings seems like the best use of my time, homeless or not.

Monday, September 11, 2017

Church word for the day: Narthex



A breathless usher found me during the worship service yesterday. “There’s a guy here who needs to talk with you.”  Meaning, ‘There’s a homeless guy and you’re the one who knows what to do about that.’
I found the guy in the narthex (lobby), and instantly recognized him – from one of the shelters I frequent. He left that spot to move in with his brother, or so he told folks. Now he’s in a tent community.
He was surprised I remembered him, remembered details of his story. I offered to pray with him – “God grant wisdom to know Your will, and grant the power of the Holy Spirit to accomplish it.” This one prayer pretty much has become my prayer for myself and others. If you know what you are supposed to do, and function in the strength provided to you from above, no matter what else is going on, you are going to be all right.
It is basically the Step 11 prayer from AA.  We all need recovery.
I have to say, I was a little disappointed that he took off, and didn’t stick around for coffee and cookies after the service. I’ll find him, hopefully.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home