Street Stories

Weblog of Seattle minister to the homeless Rick Reynolds, Operation Nightwatch

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Caring for human beings seems like the best use of my time, homeless or not.

Thursday, December 29, 2005

Rain rain rain

Yeah, this is Seattle. Homeless look like drowned rats.

Nice visit to Dravus street bar. Some dude told me all the drug dealers left when I came in -- then later at Dispatch someone said the same thing about the bar at 3rd and Bell. Police? hahahahaahaha. The only drug deal I interfered with in 20 years is one involving a guy who used to bring his kids to my church for the free dinner, and I stumbled into the exchange, got my finger under his nose and gave him hell. His response: "It's not what you think." Right.

Met I. and Rude. Crazy K. and the milk maid bartender -- place was hopping. I guess the smoking ban dip is done. The smokers were in the parking lot, bouncing back in for beer, then back out in the rain. What a life.

At MFQAB there's a curious mix. It has been upscaled, so there's all these 20-30 year old beautiful people. Then at the end of the bar us old farts. The regulars that is. A few life changes in play, some quitting drinking. What a trio of us -- me with water, Train Guy with a diet coke, and the resident historian with decaf coffee. Big spenders. Nice to see a friendly face back behind the bar.

At Third and Bell -- lots of drug connections happening, bartender (Third Gospel) not very harsh. Talked to the Man with No Identity/now Restored about why his checks haven't started, no place to live, and on and on. Hey, and I just realized there were a few missing tonight that I can't remember not seeing there. Sheesh.

Back at the home office, two women waiting for shelter, and one last and late guy, who was going to take the blanket and a bus ticket to ride. Goo night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home