Street Stories

Weblog of Seattle minister to the homeless Rick Reynolds, Operation Nightwatch

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Caring for human beings seems like the best use of my time, homeless or not.

Friday, July 06, 2007

Chewing the fat



So I'm parked on a barstool the night after Independence Day. People are pretty mellow at MFQAT.


Then Bright Eyes shows up, yipping and cussin' about it being the best night of her life, and buys a round for the house and slapping all the boys on their backsides and high-fiving the bartender.

She hits up C#2 for some chaw. What the? Too big of a pinch, but she keeps tucking it in. Ugh, like you didn't need something else to ignore about her, now she's got a wad in her lip. Lovely.

Seeing me she suddenly gets self conscious and quiet. "Can't believe I'm sitting next to a f-ing priest."

At the end of the night I wondered. Did I really do anyone any good tonight? I guess it beats sitting at home doing laundry.

Rick (sounds like I need a vacation)



Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you do need a vacation! But take heart. You will never know the full impact of your work in this lifetime but trust that you are making an positive impact. You are obviously called by God to be doing what you are doing, when you are doing it, where you are doing it. Trust in God. Peace and blessings!

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home