Street Stories

Weblog of Seattle minister to the homeless Rick Reynolds, Operation Nightwatch

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Caring for human beings seems like the best use of my time, homeless or not.

Friday, January 07, 2011

David's got me covered


David could barely keep his eyes open. "Maybe just a little. . . tipsy." So he said. Maybe.
We talked for awhile, about nothing in particular. He likes his place in the shelter, after so many years sleeping outside.
"Are you okay?" he suddenly asked me.
"What do you mean?"
"You got a place tonight?"
"Oh yeah. I'm good." I think about my warm bed, surrounded by various comforts.
"Because, if you needed a place, I'd find you a room or something," David assured me. "We have to take care of each other. We're all family here." He waved his arm around the TV room.
Indeed.
I've been talking to homeless people steadily for twenty eight years now. As far as I can remember, this is the first time I was offered accomodations for the night. It was the sweetest moment ever.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Steve - 4th Thursday@ONW said...

Pastor Rick; Thanks for posting these stories and for all you do for the homeless and forgotten men and women of Seattle. Shame this isn't on Facebook.

7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home