Street Stories

Weblog of Seattle minister to the homeless Rick Reynolds, Operation Nightwatch

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Caring for human beings seems like the best use of my time, homeless or not.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Dispatch Center

Most of my fun happens out on the street, but the bulk of what happens at Nightwatch takes place at our shelter dispatch center. Takes a crew to make that happen -- Ann in the office, Paul & John the night supervisors, security guys Theo, Jeff, (we're one person short there) and backup Billy.

Last night I stayed late to greet volunteers, and had a good time talking with homeless people as they came in.

Our worker Paul was running the front desk with volunteer Sylvia. They do great work. At the door Jeff was checking for referrals, making sure people coming in were supposed to be coming in. Volunteers from St. James Cathedral had made sandwiches -- a crew was dishing up soup (Paul's handiwork tonight).

A guy in a wheelchair got some extra attention -- he and caregiver got a hotel voucher from us for one night, with instructions on getting into DESC tonight. Won't be able to do that any more.

While greeting guys in line, several said hi. One was the son of our fixit guy; I think the son actually painted a room for us a few years ago. He's so focussed on spiritual stuff he can't take care of the day to day routines that would get him off the street.

Rick

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rick,

I meant to write a note right after Larry and I ran into you at Dick's, but got sidetracked with wedding plans!

I just wanted to say that it was a pleasure meeting you. Larry has spoken of you in the past, so I recognized your name. Now I have a face to go with the name.

God bless you and your group for the wonderful work you do.

Take care

Peggy

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home