Street Stories

Weblog of Seattle minister to the homeless Rick Reynolds, Operation Nightwatch

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Caring for human beings seems like the best use of my time, homeless or not.

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Jim's Story

This came in the mail yesterday

Hi Rick, Ann, & Staff,

A couple of weeks ago my house was broken into & I was robbed . . . my first such experience. Initially I had typical feelings about it, lots of fear, anxiety, that creepy invaded feeling.

What took me by surprise was that I had very little anger -- rather, I found myself wondering about the thief. What was it that drove him to this? How desperate must he have been?

After many days of wondering "What can I do to prevent this?" and considering home security systems, blockwatch parties, etc, I got a Nightwatch bulletin. Suddenly I had an answer -- it seemed so basic, too easy. . . "Support people & places that help desperate people!"

I'm not saying that the people who come to you are a bunch of thieves -- only that I've had a taste, now, of what desperation can do to a person, what it can drive them to.

Doesn't it make sense to give them a hand? to help keep them from reaching that horrible dark desperate place? I think so.

I need to become a better steward for Nightwatch. Thanks for all you do! JB

What a lift to get a letter like that in the mail. What a great attitude. Having been robbed, it's not easy to deal with. One time I chased a guy out of my house in the middle of the night. God bless you JB! Rick

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home